Benefits of Colon Hydrotherapy
As Spring arrives, a lot of us will feel the need to spring clean our homes. It’s that time of year when we give our homes a deep clean to clear dust and grime that has built up over the winter months from heating systems and wood and coal burners. With the hopes of warmer weather on the way, many of us feel the need to make a fresh start ready for summer and think about changes to our appearance and maybe our weight.
But what about lifestyle changes and deep cleaning our gut and digestive system?
Cleansing and eliminating toxins and waste from our body will help improve energy and overall wellbeing.
One important organ in the digestive system is the colon, also known as the large bowel or intestine. The colon plays a very important role in how our bodies use the food we eat.
- The food we eat is generally chewed, swallowed, and then enters the oesophagus and travels to our stomach.
- From the stomach, food is broken into liquid and then passes into the small intestine.
- Food is then broken down further with the help of the pancreas, liver and gallbladder who all play important roles in distribution and absorption of vitamins and nutrients that are derived from our food.
- Food in its now liquid form moves into the colon (large bowel) and the bacteria breaks down the remaining material and removes waste from foods that cannot be digested and this waste is sent to the rectum.
- The rectum can store waste but most of the time it is empty as the muscles remove the waste through the anus.
- In short, an effective digestive system absorbs the goodness and nutrients from the food we eat into our blood stream and gets rid of the waste that isn’t needed. This process can take between 24 and 72 hours.
With modern day unhealthy lifestyles and diets, toxins build up in our system. Food left undigested in the colon can cause poor health and manifest in symptoms such as weight gain, low energy, arthritis, headaches, fatigue, skin complaints, IBS, Crohn’s disease, allergies, back pain.
Colon cleansing has been performed for centuries.
Many people think that colonic irrigation or colonic hydrotherapy is a fairly new therapy. In fact, it has been used for centuries and is one of the oldest forms of natural healing that was practiced around 1500 BC by the Egyptians. Over the centuries, it continued around the world with enemas being used to maintain general health and wellbeing, including eliminating fever and even anxiety.
In modern times, radical improvements were achieved, and colon hydrotherapy machines were developed. Ongoing developments in technology and medical research have ensured that colon hydrotherapy is a completely safe and convenient procedure.
What is Colonic Hydrotherapy?
Also known as colonic irrigation, it is a naturopathic treatment that involves flushing the colon with warm filtered water to help hydrate, stimulate and dissolve and remove impacted faecal waste that otherwise leads to fermentation or putrefaction.
Treatment will generally be performed by a qualified colonic therapist while you rest on a therapy table. A tube is inserted into your rectum and water is gently flushed through, whilst the therapist controls the water flow to ensure the irrigation is enabling peristalsis (muscle contraction) to help the muscles in your colon work effectively. In addition to removing faecal waste, the colonic will remove mucous, gas, parasites, and bacterial toxins which in turn will improve your immune system and help re-hydrate the large intestine.
What are the Benefits?
- Improve digestion
- Boost your immune system
- Re-hydrate your body
- Improve skin and complexion
- Increase energy and mood
- Improve bowel regularity
- Help with weight management
- Improve sleep
Did You Know?
Your colon is approximately between five and six feet long!
The gut is home of many neurotransmitters found in your brain!
80% of your immune system is in the gut!
90% of serotonin is made in the gut which is why if your gut is not functioning properly you may feel depressed!
John Wayne reportedly had 40lbs of impacted faecal waste in his body when he died!
Elvis Presley apparently had 60lbs!
Tips For Safe Colon Hydrotherapy
If you have any underlying health conditions such as heart disease or high blood pressure, this type of therapy may not be suitable for you. However, you should always speak with your doctor or medical practitioner to check.
Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration before and after your colonic.
Choose your therapist carefully to ensure they are qualified and experienced.
A Healthy Colon is Key to a Healthy Body and Mind